Indian Navy provides excellent career opportunities in the field of IT. Personnel gain hands-on experience in operations, maintenance and administration of state-of-the art networks, IT infrastructure and advanced IT/InfoSec application. They are exposed to handling niche technology and R&D functions as part of standard growth profile. Naval IT setup is unique since it involves not only shore based establishments but also afloat units, which require to maintain connectivity and synchronized operations. The charter of duties of IT officer includes the following:-
- Implementation of enterprise-wide networking and software development projects.
- Management of critical naval networks and software applications.
- Administration of ashore and afloat networks.
- Development activities with respect to cyber security products
- Administration of cyber security incident response and cyber forensics.
On completion of training, officers would be posted onboard in ships and Establishment for carrying out IT duties.
Candidates will be inducted as officers in the rank of Sub Lieutenant and undergo Naval Orientation Course at the Indian naval Academy, Ezhimala, Kerala followed by professional training at various Naval Training Establishment /Units/Ships.
Later in the career, IT officers are nominated for various specialisation courses
The candidates must possess at least 60% marks in one of the following:-
- BE/B.Tech (Computer Science/ Computer Engineering/IT)
- B.Sc (IT)
- M.Tech (Computer Science)
- M.Sc (Computer)